Monday, October 27, 2008

It's Monday, and I'm tired.

Do you remember those weekends when there was nothing to do or at least nothing that had to be done? I guess I might have still had some of those until July 2007, but after I got married in 2005 they certainly became less and less available.

The weekend started nice enough. On Friday night after we had gotten the little one off to bed Chris built a fire in our fireplace. It was our first time to use it since we moved here, and we very unpleasantly discovered that the handle which indicates that the flue is open is actually broken. This was, of course, discovered after getting the fire going. S0 -- break out the fire extinguisher, open the windows, turn on the fan, air out the house, and start all over again! Chris managed to crawl part way into the fireplace and open the flue manually. I actually had the pleasure of falling asleep on the couch to the crackling noise and the warm glow of a lovely fire. I'll try to liberate one of the pics from the camera later and post it.

That was the last bit of downtime....

Between traveling most of the day Saturday to see Chris's grandmother in Crossville and cleaning all day Sunday, there was little time for relaxation. We didn't make it to church on Sunday for the second time in a row! Willow Grace was ill with a bad cold and had developed a bad cough. I even considered taking her to the doctor but since she had no fever I knew I'd just be paying $25 to have them tell me, "Make sure she gets plenty of liquids and rest." Thanks, got it.

Instead of going with Chris to his belated birthday dinner at his parents' house, little Miss Willow Grace and I stayed home. She busied herself with taking all of the books off of her shelf a half a dozen times, and I busied myself with replacing those same books and patiently trying to teach her that they need to stay on the shelf. In addition to that I


  • washed, dried, and folded a few loads of laundry

  • washed dishes in the sink

  • load and unloaded the dishwasher

  • cleaned out the refrigerator

  • vacuumed

  • moved the mattress and box springs off of our bed in order to inspect the frame and put it all back together (Chris doesn't know I did this since he was gone, but I guess now the cat's out of the bag!)

  • cleared several piles of books, papers, clothes, and various other random items from around the house

  • took care of Willow Grace (a full time job all on its own)
Next weekend looks to be just as or even more busy than this one, and we'll be traveling the week after that. Maybe some day, somehow, we'll enjoy one of those do-nothing weekends of the past. Hmm, maybe when we're in our 80's....
Edit: Here's a pic I promised of our first fire.

2 comments:

M.K. said...

Oh,honey, I hear ya! I finally just convinced myself that light, steady housework is actually quite relaxing...it almost works :)

And, I told Adam just Sunday night that there are some weekends that are so busy (i.e., just plain hard work),I'm happy to get back to my little classroom and my little routine. At least work is predictable!

Anonymous said...

Falling asleep to a peaceful,glowing fire in the fireplace sounds soooo nice!

For some reason reading other people's lists of to-do tasks or things they accomplished or whatever are so interesting to me. I love that stuff!