Monday, August 25, 2008

Sloth Revisited/A Blank Calendar


I just looked at my planner for this week. There’s nothing on it for the weekdays. It’s silly, but it makes me nervous. With nothing on the calendar, I feel that twinge of guilt. The thoughts whisper, “Perhaps I’m not being active enough with my life; I really should be doing more.” Things like my job and taking care of my family are not events that require separate notations in my planner. My days are full. I do not NEED to do more. And now I can hear my husband’s voice, “You need to relax. Just come sit down.”

Is my Savior calling me to do the same?

“Relax. Sit down with me. Let’s talk.” Hmmm, yes, I do believe that He is. If there’s one thing we know about the Christian life, it’s that He desires one on one time with us. Bible reading is not a chore; it’s an opportunity to get to know the Father better. I know for a lot of the people that’s a major paradigm shift. It’s interesting to me how much we long for one on one time –major “face time” – with the people in our lives. However, we don’t really consider the fact that that is also desired of us, and even more than that our Abba Father desires it of us.

Maybe instead of seeing a blank calendar as a lack of purpose in my life, I should see it as an opportunity to carve out more time to spend with God. Now that’s what I call purpose!

1 comment:

Shastopher said...

I remember you before we were dating, coming in late at night and then staying up half the night with me. Neither of us have a full Calendar but just because our daily chores are not in writing does not mean we are not busy. I hear my Savior calling to me "Come ye that are heavy laden and I will give you rest" but its more in my terms now. "Come and sit with me, life's been difficult but you can talk to me about it and I will listen." That in and of itself is very reassuring and reminds me how little time I spend in the Word and how much time I should spend there.