Sunday, August 10, 2008

On my mind....

Chris and Willow Grace are both sleeping soundly, and I hope that they will remain so for at least another hour. I've been awake for quite a while and quite frequently through the night. Willow Grace hasn't been feeling very well, so every little moan she utters has sent a mini-shock wave through me abruptly waking me. I already have dinner in the slow cooker. I'm making my first pot roast and using my crock pot for the first time. We'll see how it turns out.

You know how people tell you that you need to let your children "cry it out" sometimes and that if you don't you'll spoil them. Here's my answer:
1. You can't spoil a baby.
2. When Willow Grace gets too upset she vomits... a lot.
I think it may have something to do with the fact that she seems to have a really sensitive gag reflex. This is the same reason that we've made a slow process with giving her table food. Late last night at the same time that the kitchen sink decided to spring a leak, Willow Grace awoke and was very upset; she has been suffering with a bad cold and couldn't breathe very well. I actually took her to the doctor earlier in the week b/c she wasn't eating or drinking much, but it seemed to be mostly due to the fact that she couldn't breathe well and is teething. Anyway, we were trying to take care of the sink and hoped that she would settle back down and go back to sleep. When it became apparent that wasn't going to happen, I continued clearing all of the items from under the sink and sent Chris up to check on her. A minute later I heard, "Uh, honey, we have a situation up here!" She had thrown up all over everything - her bed, the floor, the massive lady bug that sits on her floor, the ottoman to the rocking chair, Chris, and herself. Bless her heart(and Chris's)! While Chris cleaned up the mess in her room, I bathed her. She loves the bath; it really calms her down. We were finally able to get her back into bed with fresh pj's and sheets but still had to go a few times to calm her down when she would start crying. Every time she was sleep-crying. She didn't even wake up; she was just trying so hard to breathe through that little stopped-up nose!

So, we're going to be homebodies today and skip church. I can't put her in the nursery, and she's too active (and sneezing too much) for the sanctuary. We'll just camp out here and catch some good preachin' on the TV.

On Friday, I was so blessed to be able to take her to work with me. I had already completed all the tasks I needed to for the week but still had to be there, so I asked if she could come and hang out with me. Having been given the green light, Friday morning I strolled her into the school with my computer bag and purse on one arm, her computer bag and a large bag of toys on the other arm, and her diaper bag and my lunch in her stroller. My work computer doesn't play DVD's, so I had to bring another computer for her to be able to watch a Praise Baby video which she absolutely loves! (I highly recommend these videos; we have 4 different ones.) What an amazing day! I was overjoyed to be able to spend the day playing with her, watching her sleep in her stroller, showing her off to my coworkers, and just taking care of her. She loved exploring the lobby where my desk is and checking out other people's offices, and I will treasure my day of memories. I expect that there will be many moments when the memory of her toddling around my work space will make me smile and give me that little something extra to push me through my day.

No comments: