Thursday, January 08, 2009

Reflections

Today, as I sat at my reception desk in the middle school lobby, I heard a student coming in the front door, a distinct rattle issuing from her hand. It was the sound of a brown bag lunch. I love that sound. I love the beginning of each semester when stores have isles dedicated to school supplies. I always want to stock up on folder, pencils, and notebook paper.

I hated middle and high school.

Sure, I had good moments, but, for the most part, it was, for me, a mighty struggle. I attended a private, college-prep school, and most of the kids there came from upper middle class to high-class families. I always felt somewhat like Molly Ringwold from Pretty in Pink. I was the poor girl from the wrong side of the tracks, and I just didn’t fit. I didn’t travel to Aspen for Christmas or go on vacations to Europe in the summer. I didn’t receive a brand new car when I turned 16. I didn’t go for weekend shopping trips to Atlanta or Chicago; in fact, I almost never shopped at the mall or nice department stores. I didn’t attend parties every Friday and Saturday night. I certainly endured a fair share of ridicule. However, it was determined not to let it beat me, and I emerged from it all with a solid education, a thicker skin, and a stronger character.

It’s interesting to me that I actually like school so much. Perhaps it’s because my own education was book-ended so well. I loved both elementary school and college. From the time that I was a young girl, I wanted to be a teacher. I loved being a teacher. I still want to teach; after teaching for 10 years, I miss it, just about everything about it, but mostly the relational side of it. I always hoped to make the school experience better for the students than it was for me. It bothers me just a bit telling people that I’m not currently teaching, but it’s not what I’m supposed to be doing right now. I know that. God has a different purpose for me to fulfill right now, and I really am content to be in the middle of His plan, right where I’m supposed to be. The experience has been quite rewarding already. Of course, it’s also been quite nice to leave my work at work and have my home life be just about my family right now. But, more importantly, I have felt God using me in other’s lives. What more could I ask for?

No comments: