Friday, January 23, 2009

My Husband Rocks!


“To love all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one…. Wrap it carefully around with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglement; lock it in a safe casket or coffin of selfishness. But in that casket – safe, dark, motionless, airless – it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable…. The only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all dangers of love is – –Hell.” (C.S. Lewis)

Marriage is not easy. It’s not for the faint of heart. It takes real work and determination. There is no autopilot. On those days when I lose sight of the bliss, of the blessing, that God has given me in my marriage, I’m tempted to abandon myself to the business of life, to stop trusting (both in my husband and God), and to carefully lock my heart away – just like C.S. Lewis talked about in the above quote. Yes, I am tempted, but I refuse to give in or to give up.

I am committed to being vulnerable and submitting my heart to be broken. Love is worth it. My marriage is worth it. My rockin’ husband is worth it.

This week Katy Lin over at the great adventure gave us the prompt, “Tell us about a time that your spouse went out of his way to serve you and love you sacrificially.”

Really, I could literally recount hundreds of times that Chris has put his own interests aside and scrounged up the energy or the will to do something for me. It’s in the little things that he does for me every day – cleaning the kitchen, putting the baby to bed, building me a fire, warming up my car on chilly mornings, getting up early to help me get out the door with the baby, always asking me what he can do to help me…. The list could go on and on. The cool thing is that I know it’s not just because he’s a nice guy. Really, I wouldn’t characterize him as a “nice guy;” nice guys don’t seem very strong to me. Chris IS strong. I guess I would say he’s a big tough guy with a tender heart. Really, the truest motivation behind those acts of kindness is because he really does love our daughter and me. That kind of love means that he really does rock!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got a great guy!Don't you just love MHR it helps me to pay more attention and remember!

Michael Horvath said...

It took me a very long time to understand what "serve" meant. I got it just in time for when GF came into my life. I have gotten so much more from bring this kind of man than I would have ever guessed. I get it now.

I love the fact that your husband serves you and you recognize him for it. Love is yours.

Dacia said...

How sweet! I love that you say he's "strong". What a great description word. Sounds like he's awesome! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

Reborn said...

I love the C.S. Lewis quote. He's incredible.

Thanks for sharing about your hubby and for the comment you left me!

:)