Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Burnin’ Down The House

Well, not really, but there was quite a bit of smoke.

I tried, for the first time, to make hush puppies last night. It went very wrong. First of all, I didn’t even really mean to make hush puppies. I wanted to bake some blueberry muffins so that I could have them for breakfast this morning. However, somehow I grabbed the hush puppy mix and ripped it open before realizing what I had done. “Hmmm,” I shrugged. “I’ll just make these too.”

Do you know how to make sure the oil on the stove is 375 degrees? I don’t, and I guess I got it too hot because the second I dropped the pups into the skillet they started to burn. “Oh, well,” I thought. “Take two.” I turned on the exhaust over the stove and turned around to crank up the sound on my little Coca-Cola jukebox radio. That’s when I discovered that in such a short time our entire downstairs had filled with smoke! How did I not notice this sooner? I scrambled to open the front and back doors and raced upstairs to bring the fan down.

Willow Grace was napping in her crib upstairs, and somehow neither the smell nor the smoke made it up there. Thank you, God.

My eyes burned until I went to sleep, and the smell was still lingering this morning when I stumbled down for my morning work out. I won’t be trying to make hush puppies again unless we have a deep fryer.

Not all was lost, however. I did still manage to make a very nice dinner of grilled teriyaki pork chops, green beans, and mac 'n cheese. I also toasted a few slices of my mother-in-law's sour dough bread, which Chris absolutely loves. And, of course, I did succeed in baking those blueberry muffins.

Here's wishing you success in your kitchen!

No comments: