Monday, March 13, 2006

What’s the deal?

I go to the same Starbucks about once a week. I’m not a big coffee drinker unless I make it myself, but I do like specialty drinks. I order the same thing every week: a tall tea cider with Calm tea. Strangely enough, every week they seem totally confused by this order. Eyebrows crease and those same questions come tumbling out. I just smile and say, “I don’t want caramel or cinnamon, just the hot cider and with a bag of Calm tea, thank you.” Yet, still, I feel as if I’m being viewed as some strange being from another world who might as well be ordering meteorite juice. Finally, light begins to dawn in the barista’s eyes. “Oh, I see what you’re asking for; sure, we can do that!” Hmmm, you think? I’ve only ordered this particular drink at this very Starbucks a hundred times.

Anyway, despite the difficulties of ordering this drink; you really should try it. It’s a soothing type of beverage, just the right thing to partake of before attempting to go to sleep. I often have different sleep problems, so anything that can calm me down and slow my thinking process is good for me. Last night Chris said that I was extremely restless and actually smacked him a few times. I was having the most bizarre dreams, and between the migraine and the medicine I took, I’m not really surprised that I was flailing my arms a bit. I was somewhat aware of the fact that I was in pain even though I was asleep, so I really couldn’t have been sleeping that deeply, not deep enough to be truly rested this morning but apparently deep enough to hit my husband. How strange.

Do you ever wake up from a dream and want to go back to sleep immediately and finish the dream? I’ve tried it, but even if I somehow end up in the same place, the dream doesn’t end the way I would have wanted it to. Most of my dreams are so strange that I just lie there trying to figure it all out. There are times that I will have dreams which incorporate people from high school, college, and the school I teach at now. I’ve spent my entire life around schools, so it makes sense that my dreams would often be there too. However, it’s very strange when several different time periods of my life collide, and it’s almost never pleasant.

I’m happier at this stage in my life than I ever was before. I think it has a lot to do with confidence and truly knowing who I am and not being afraid for others to see that. I wish that I had that when I was younger. I wish that I could go back and talk to the younger me and tell me to embrace who I was. Even then I think I had all the elements I needed to be all that I wanted to be; I just couldn’t see it. I guess a lot of us end up saying, “If only I knew then what I know now, I would have....” What would I have done? It’s hard to say, and there’s really no way to truly know.


Along that same thought, we just finished watching Walk the Line. Brilliant. I loved it. I felt that Reese’s Oscar was well deserved, and I wish that Joaquin could have walked away with one as well. Anyway, the point is, I’m sure that there were points in Johnny Cash’s life when he would have felt the same as I do. He could have been spared so much pain and could have spared others if only he had seen things clearer earlier. Of course we all know the real point to all of this is that we learn something along the way and find a way to make the world better. I’d like to think I’m doing that… learning and making things better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You poor thing, between the headaches and the restless sleep... hope that gets taken care of soon.

**Here's a quote for you that I like:
You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better. **
- Maya Angelou

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm just hoping that this whole thing gets sorted out soon. I'm just exhausted with going to the doctor with you over something they can't fix or at the very least give you something for. I love you.

Anonymous said...

The drink sounds good. I hardly ever go to Starbucks though. but I just may try that some evening.
About the dreams ... I know what you mean about not being able to jump back into dreams most of the time. However, that is only if it is a good dream. If it a nightmare, that is a totally different story. Those don't just go away. Many times they are waiting for you right when you close your eyes again.
Mom and I were talking about going back and changing things yesterday. I told her how I felt about who I was in my past, and mostly all I see is embarrassment, regret, and shame. Many people wouldn't want to relive their past. They are just glad it's over and better now. But I'm right there with Kenny Chesney. I would've done a lot of things different. I go back and change many many moments of my past. And even so, I don't know who I'd be today.
And you know how I feel about Walk the Line. It was incredible. Reese was incredible. I LOVE HER! And yes, Joaquin did great as well. Did you know that he was hand picked by Johnny Cash before he died?

Anonymous said...

I love the quote that Laura gave you by Maya Angelou.I really, really needed that for myself today.
I am praying that you will finally get some answers this week about those headaches. I have had one for two days now. I think it could be hormonal.