Monday, March 06, 2006

Time for Leisure

It’s strange that I would be in such a good mood on a Monday, but I just had the best afternoon and evening with Chris. We didn’t win the lottery or a trip around the world. No one from Publisher’s Clearing House showed up with a hundred balloons and enormous check with our name neatly written on it. And no, we are not pregnant. We merely spent time just hanging out.

He actually was home when I arrived today; that was a joy in itself. Then he agreed to go walking with me, so we suited up Bella in her harness and took off for the park across the road from our complex. What a gorgeous day! Sure, the breeze was a little chilly but on the whole very enjoyable. In all we traveled roughly two and a half miles around the park enjoying our brief escape into nature. And we simply talked.

He asked me about my day and truly wanted to hear the details. I rambled on about the day’s events and then vented my frustrations over a couple issues. Chris is so good at listening; he actually even waits for me to ask what he thinks before he just rushes in to give his opinion. (I really need to work on that; I’m very opinionated!)

After we finished our walk, we decided to go pick up a few groceries for the rest of the week and some take-out Chinese for tonight. While we ate, we watched Cliffhanger, an early ‘90’s action flick with Sylvester Stalone. Interestingly enough, I saw it when it first came out and really liked it, but as I sat there watching it tonight I was amazed at how bad the acting was. Sometimes, however, that’s part of the fun – giggling at the ridiculous dialogue and even worse delivery of those lines. Still, I was clinging to Chris as one character after another lost the fight on those snowy Colorado slopes, and he warned me to cover my eyes each time something gory was about to occur.

As for the rest of the night, I plan to get into my pj’s and read for a while until I drift off to dreamland. Nights like this are rare, and I plan to take full advantage of it. Some day we will have kids, and there will be no more nights like these. Hmmm, that thought just makes me more tired. Good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that does sound like a good afternoon. And that's really nice of Chris to be such a good listener. AND he's really interested? WOW!!! That's really, really good!!

Chinese takeout sounds so good. I need to find a good (clean) place here.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll be able to find any good, and as Laura said, "clean" Chinese place in Portland. Even in Antioch it's a bit difficult, unless you want to go sit down somewhere or go to the mall (which really, is that real Chinese?).