Thursday, March 30, 2006

Grrr….

One of the things I truly hate is when someone says, “Welcome to the real world” or some variation of that. It REALLY gets under my skin. Today I was treated to one of those little variations. I was red hot. I kept my composure until I left work, but I was really mad. Have I not been in the “real world?” By the way, everyone is in the real world. People have different circumstances and positions in life, but difficulty doesn’t fit only certain groups: social, age, race, gender, etc. I hate it when adults say to younger people, “Just wait until you get into the real world.” That’s just stupid. Of course kids can’t handle whatever the adult is going through; they’re not supposed to. They’re handling what they can at their age. And, by the way, I am not a child and don’t need anyone to tell me what it’s like in the “real world.” (taking a deep breath) I’m done fuming now.

Speaking of kids, my nephew Brent was at my apartment when I got home. Chris had to go off for a call as soon as I arrived home, so it was just me and Brent. Not long after Chris left, he called and said that he’d left an important notebook at home, so Brent and I hoped in the truck to take it to him. Afterwards, we dropped by the mall, browsed around, and left to go get Icees at the gas station. It was totally simple afternoon, and it made me feel so much better, just hanging out with Brent. Tomorrow he’s going to spend the day with me at work. I’m baffled by the fact that he wants to hang with me at school on his Spring Break. But I’ll be glad to have him there, and my students are really excited that he’s coming too.

Have a mentioned my great love for Extreme Makeover: Home Edition? That show is phenomenal! I absolutely love watching it on Sunday, but now they have this four week special with them helping victims of the hurricanes. The magnitude of their generosity astounds me and causes me to wish that I had the means to help people in the same way. And it reminds me that while I genuinely long for another place to live, I am much better off than so many others and should be thankful for what I have.

No comments: