Sunday, March 05, 2006

Today is a historical day.

It is for me anyway. Today marks seven months of marriage for Chris and me; and it is my grandfather’s 81st birthday. I am thrilled that Chris and I are a little over half way into that ominous first year, and I truly enjoyed spending the afternoon enjoying lunch with twenty people, family and friends, at Cock of the Walk and watching Paw Paw open presents and get a little choked up over how much we all love him. Most importantly, however, it’s Oscar Night! (Does sarcasm come through in print?) Really, how can you top extremely rich people dressed in ridiculously expensive clothes and giving each other awards for doing their job well? Yeah, so I’m wrestling with the jealousy.

In truth I’m sitting here glued to the TV trying to catch every glimpse of the stars that I can. I’m dreaming of being there sitting behind Nicole Kidman, just the right of Stephen Spielberg, and somewhere in the general vicinity of Will Smith. I’m wearing the most beautiful gown, probably a deep emerald green, with my hair delicately swept up into a lovely French twist with light tendrils drifting romantically around my cheeks. Lovely, delicate, diamond drop earrings dangle from my ears, my skin glows with a dewy, youthful glow; and on my arm is my sweet husband decked out in the finest Armani can offer. I don’t have to win; it’s an honor just to be nominated or to present or just to sit near Reese Witherspoon or to accidentally bump into Morgan Freeman at the Governor’s Ball. And the dream goes on….

In reality, I’ve spent the evening on the couch in the living room while Chris retreated to the office to play computer games and then to our bedroom to chat on the phone and channel surf. I’m wearing jeans, and although it is a good hair day, it’s not glamorous, and I certainly don’t have any diamonds other than in my lovely engagement ring.

I’ve been typing during the commercials so that I don’t miss anything. And now, I really must get back to the program and my dream.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mad I didn't catch the Oscars, but happy about a lot of the winners. Not upset about Crash, loved it! And of course, so happy that Reese now has 'Oscar Winner' attatched to her name. Big night for their family huh? (Ryan was in Crash)I went online and caugh all the highlights, best dressed, and list of winners this morning. I'm sorry I missed it.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and I so wish I could be involved in the Oscars too. And you picked a really good seat! I wonder what I would look like that night too?

Anonymous said...

Dad watched the Oscars with me last night.All of it! His favorite was Reese Witherspoon.
It's not to late Kay.Get busy writing that script.Hollywood is waiting!Eva's your star.