Tuesday, February 28, 2006

From Mardi Gras to Lent

I wore my customary Mardi Gras beads along with a set of matching Mardi Gras mask earrings and pendant to school/work today. When my friend saw me this morning she said that when she remembered that it was Mardi Gras, she knew that I would be wearing my beads. I guess I am predictable. If there’s an opportunity to sparkle and shine a little I take it. Who am I kidding? I tackle it and run!

Tomorrow is the start of Lent, and I have been thinking about what to give up. I know that many people think it is just a Catholic thing, but many Christians do it. It’s a way to focus on God and remember the price that Chris paid for us. I’ve really been feeling the need to get closer to God lately. Every year I usually give up three things for Lent. I don’t think that I want to post what I’m actually giving up; I don’t want to draw attention to myself in that way. I just thought that I’d mention that it is starting tomorrow in case anyone wanted to know or wanted to join me in this endeavor.

Sometimes I wonder just how transparent I should be in this blog. I’m just not sure how much I want to share and how much people really want to know. Yesterday I was thinking about how people perceive me compared to how I think they do along with how I actually see myself. I really don’t think that those three line up very well. I can be somewhat arrogant in my belief that I am right, and I wonder if what I see as reality matches up with the actual truth. I think that I want to see things are they truly are, but then I also sometimes enjoy living in imagination, possibility, and fairy tales. Is there a place for both of these to coexist in harmony?

I’ve been extremely tired today, so I plan to get ready for bed soon. I won’t go to sleep. I’ll probably read for a while, but at least I will be resting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

**It’s a way to focus on God and remember the price that Chris paid for us.**

do you see the typo there? LOL I knew what you meant, just thought I'd point it out since Chris is your husband's name. Wouldn't want anyone to think you're confusing the 2 of them. ;)

Good luck with whatever things you give up!

Anonymous said...

I thought that was a quite a serious typo too!

Anonymous said...

hehehe,The typo is pretty funny.
I appreciate that you shared with me about Lent.It has been a wonderful opprotunity for me to use this time to get closer to the Lord.Most of the time we all focus on ourself and how we can obtain "things" to bring us pleasure. Giving up these things for Christ have brought me more happiness and satisfaction than the "things"ever could.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts