Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A doggie afternoon

We're dog people. Most of the people in Chris's and my immediate families have dogs, and Chris and I have the beautiful Bella, a Great Pyrenees/Lab mix. It just seems to me that a great deal of our family and personal time is entangled with these wonderful creatures.

My sister, Eva came by my work today to visit me, and she brought her Beagle, Ellie. The kids were crazy about that little dog, and Ellie seemed overwhelmed and excited by all the activity. In true Beagle fashion, Ellie is insatiably curious about everything and tends to lick people… a lot. Eva and her husband also have a precious pit bull named Drake; he’s rock solid and so gentle. Ellie and Drake are the best of friends.

After my visit with Eva and Ellie, I came home to my own crazy canine. I decided that I would take Bella for a walk. Usually we just latch the leash to her collar, but for long walks we use the harness. When Chris and I go together, he puts the harness on her. I really am an intelligent person, but it’s ridiculous how long it took me to figure out how to get that thing on her.

When we put the harness on, Bella knows that we’re going for a long walk, so she won’t do her business in the complex. I guess she’s just too excited. The problem is that she then wants to go in people’s yards, and I hate that. I’m always afraid that someone is going to fly out of their house yelling at me and waving heavy objects meant to injure me. So, today, when she tried to go in someone’s yard, it just kept pulling on her. I’m sure that my energy was doubly zapped in my walk because I was yelling “NO” and tugging her muscular, 82 pound body toward the field that was half way up the hill that I was climbing. She seemed thoroughly confused, but I just couldn’t bear the embarrassment of standing there while she desecrated a stranger’s pretty little lawn.

Anyway, I wanted to twice conquer that hill which, by the way, is extremely steep and a half a mile to the top. Walking the hill a few times a day used to be my primary mode of exercise, and I had gotten in pretty good shape that way. However, since the arrival of the treadmill, I haven’t done it in a while, so I was only able to do it once today. But by the end of the week, I plan to claim my victory. At least with my treadmill walk this morning, I got three miles in today.

The one thing that gives me comfort is that Bella seemed to be beat by the hill as well. By the time we made it up the hill, she was desperate to get back home and ended up drinking about a half gallon of water when we returned. Now she’s curled up behind me on the floor looking unusually calm and comfortable, Hmmm, a nap sounds very good at this moment. I just don’t want to mess up my chances of a full night’s sleep later. Maybe I’ll get to turn in a little early tonight. I can only hope….

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you will sleep long and deep tonight, listening to the gentle rain tapping the window and the buzz saw like noise of my horendous snoring. ^_^ I am very proud of you for going up once ... it was much more than I could have accomplished.

Anonymous said...

Ellie had a lot of fun today. Most of the way home she was just sacked out in the front seat instead of her usual looking out ALL the windows. All that attention really wore her out!
I thought Bella weighed more than 82 lbs. I thought she was like 100. Drake is about 70 ish. I just thought that their weights were a lot further apart.

Anonymous said...

Dawg Gone,I clean forgot what old Reliable use to say:).