Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Youth vs. Bob Dylan

Last night Chris and I went to have dinner at his parents’ house. And we took Bella. I can’t figure out if this was a mistake or not. I don’t know how everyone else felt, but she totally drove me crazy during dinner. She’s a loud breather, and she wanted to be right there at the table next to our elbows. I like listening to jazz music or watching a little TV while I eat; I most certainly do not enjoy listening to loud, heavy breathing! I don’t think I can adequately describe just how loud the breathing is. On the way to dinner Chris was on the phone with his mom, and she asked him what was wrong. She thought that he was scrapping something, but it was just Bella that she heard.

There’s really not much else exciting going on with me. I think that’s good though. The last few weeks really drained me, and I could use a few days of nothing exciting. Chris and I went to dinner the other night at the Green Hills Grille, and then we wandered around Davis Kidd Bookstore. Nothing spectacular happened; we were just happy to be together. Maybe that is spectacular: having the opportunity to relax and enjoy the company of your spouse.

The school year is progressing well. I like the routine of being a teacher, and I like my students. But I am starting to feel older around them than I used to. The kids were naming all these different dances the other day and asking me if I knew how to do them. First of all I hadn’t heard of many of them, and when they demonstrated them I thought they looked stupid. (Of course I didn’t tell the students my humble opinion.) Doesn’t the older generation always see things the younger people enjoy as stupid or a waste of time or strange? In his younger years, Bob Dylan said that you should never trust anyone over the age of 30. A few years ago a student reminded me of that quote and told me that he could still trust me because I was still in my twenties. Well, what now? Have a progressed too far to be a teenager’s confidant? In my defense, I still like a lot of the same shows, movies, music, and products that the kids like. Chris always says that he will grow old, but he will never grow up. “I don’t want to grow up; I’m a Toys R us kid!” I’ve seen a lot of people retain that youthful exuberance and yet also grow wiser. That’s what I want.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Yes, you and Chris will always be kids "R" us kind of people. That's one of the many, many things that John and I love about you guys!!! And yes, it is spectacular that you guys still enjoy being in each others' company. So do John and I. That's a miracle nowadays. Can't wait to see you guys Saturday night. I'm really worn out today (Fri.), so I think you guys will have to come to PV. We'll definitely come out to see you guys next time. Love ya!!