Thursday, August 03, 2006

Caffeine Crisis

I failed miserably. I was not able to relax last night. I ended up straightening up the kitchen, dining room, and living room; washing and folding four loads of laundry; and ironing 15 shirts, two pairs of pants, and a skirt. I sat down for just long enough to eat my dinner, a salad with grilled chicken, before I was up and going again.

But there is a reason for my manic behavior.

I had bought some diet pills at the beginning of the week to help give a little boost to my weight loss. Bad choice. You can take up to six pills a day, two before each meal. I was taking five a day. Last night I discovered that the pills have a ton of caffeine in them. I don’t generally have caffeine and certainly not at night. I may have a Coke on the weekend, but I have to be really careful with caffeine. It really affects me, and I was ingesting the equivalent of five cups a coffee. I knew that I wasn’t feeling quite right this week, but it really all came to a head last night.

Let me lay it out for you….

Around 10:30 last night I crashed… for about five minutes. Then I flipped out! I mean I really flipped out. My pulse was pounding in my ear, and I became very paranoid and emotional. Poor Chris! He was trying to calm me down and help me figure out what was going on. I was completely restless and was not thinking rationally. I was really worried that I was really sick…physically and emotionally. Chris prayed for me and read to me a little from the Bible. Then I remembered that the label of the diet pills mentioned caffeine, so I huffed it to the kitchen to check it out. Problem solved. As soon as I figured out what had happened I started to calm down. I wasn’t losing it; I was just hyped up with too much caffeine. I am sure that you will be glad to know that the pills went straight into the trash. I climbed back into bed, put in a Friends DVD, and grabbed my coloring books and colored pencils. Soothing activities. I wasn’t able to fully calm down enough for sleep until after one. What a night!

Thankfully I have a pleasant weekend ahead of me. First I will take advantage of the tax free weekend in Tennessee tomorrow, and then Chris and I are heading out for Gatlinburg. I’m aiming for a leisurely weekend just wandering around the strip, going to the aquarium, eating good food, and really resting. After this strange episode I’ve had and him taking over his company this week, Chris and I really need a non-stressful weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that, honey. Its just been so stressful this week ... I just want to rest. We'll have a good time though and come back refreshed.

Christina said...

Yes, you ARE crazy. I can't believe you could possibly think that you're lazy. They would be the crazy ones if they thought that. But, I totally understand how you feel. I think (think?? Can you say denial) I struggle with the same thing. :-) sorry I didn't get to talk to you last night. I hope you guys have a GREAT, and RESTFUL weekend. Then, next weekend, we'll be hitting the spa. yeah!!! Love you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Good grief Kay!!! That sounds awful! Thank goodness you figured out what it was. I took some sort of diet pills several years ago and a similar thing happened, I couldn't wait for it to wear off it was so freaky!

Have a happy anniversary tomorrow and a good trip this weekend.