Sunday, August 20, 2006

Zombie

For most of the weekend I’ve felt like I was wandering around in a fog. On Friday I stumbled through my last day of in-service with a migraine, and then Chris and I went up to Fort Knox to spend the weekend with my brother Wayne and his family before he deploys to Iraq. I had to climb into the back seat half way there in order to sleep, and by the time we got there I was rather disoriented. My Mom had been staying with my brother’s family all week, and my sister and her husband would join us the next day. With the realization of my brother’s impending departure and the arrival of my new students on Monday, my brain hit hyper-drive, and I was not able to go to sleep until around 3 AM, and so on Saturday I somewhat lethargic. That night we all traveled an hour further north to my nephew Brent’s football game. It was supposed to start at 8:30 which is already a late start for a high school football game. However, another game was already in motion and was running late. Then after we all endured a rain shower which quite sufficiently soaked us, Brent’s game finally started around 10 PM! While it was a good game, sadly Brent’s team lost, and he didn’t even get to play. We didn’t get back to Wayne’s house until after 2 AM, and once again I didn’t get to sleep until around 3!

Chris and I came back to Nashville today, dropped of our luggage, and went to work in my classroom for a couple hours. When I left, I felt like I was as prepared as I could be for tomorrow, but that doesn’t stop me from being very nervous. I’m really excited to be back on the job, but beginnings are often scary. The days and months ahead feel like an epic saga waiting to be written, and I’m just one of dozens of authors jockeying for position to fill up those pages. However, tonight I plan to get in my pj’s early and hop into bed and read until I can’t keep my eyes open. I really hope that my nervous energy and overactive brain don’t keep me awake tonight. I need sleep.

No comments: