Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Winter Dreams

“Back to life. Back to reality.”

Is it sad that on my first day back to work after Christmas break, the words that define my life are from an old song by En Vogue? How did those lyrics even find their way into my head? Is this the result of a life full of pop culture overload? I do have to defend myself just a bit by saying that I did have to look up the song and artist; I couldn’t remember the origin of the lyrics.

After have a fortnight off of work, even with the busyness of the holiday season, it’s somewhat strange to get into the back into the swing of things. Of course, a day of meetings isn’t quite the same as being with a room full of seventh graders; I believe that I have mentioned I much preferred the room full of students. During one meeting today, I actually started to do the sleepy head nod. I had to get a piece of ice out of my water jug to rub on my wrists and hands to wake me up. I was sufficiently revived and able to gain a few inspirational tidbits from the rest of the meeting.

Tomorrow the kids return, and it’s a whole new ballgame. In the spring semester, seventh graders start to feel a little closer to eighth grade and a few more sassy attitudes materialize. Many of them have growth spurts, and what fit them in September is now much too short. It’s an exciting time, and I am very much looking forward to getting back to them. They certainly make life more interesting.

It’s January, the time that all school children and teachers start dreaming of snow.

“Snow” from the movie White Christmas

Snow
It won't be long before we'll all be there with snow
Snow
I want to wash my hands, my face and hair with snow

Snow
I long to clear a path and lift a spade of snow
Snow
Oh, to see a great big man entirely made of snow

Where it's snowing
All winter through
That's where I want to be
Snowball throwing
That's what I'll do
How I'm longing to ski
Through the snow-oh-oh-oh-oh

Those glist'ning houses that seem to be built of snow
Snow
Oh, to see a mountain covered with a quilt of snow

What is Christmas with no snow
No white Christmas with no snow
Snow

I'll soon be there with snow
I'll wash my hair with snow
And with a spade of snow
I'll build a man that's made of snow
I'd love to stay up with you but I recommend a little shuteye
Go to sleep
And dream
Of snow

I must have heard the word a dozen times today, all from teachers speaking wistfully of early morning snow chain calls and days off. I wonder if we really have a chance this year. Every year I anxiously anticipate the arrival of snow; I cannot help but get my hopes up. Many years have found my dreams to be sadly unfulfilled, but I still manage to muster up a sufficient amount of optimism each year and watch the skies with expectation. Maybe this year, I, and countless other school bound citizens, will get our wish.

No comments: