Monday, September 04, 2006

Pedicure Therapy for a Drama Queen

Why does having pretty nails give me a more positive outlook on life? Yesterday when I told Chris that I really needed a mani-pedi, he readily offered me the money to do it. He understands me. What a man! So after the crush of yesterday’s news, I spent the morning at the nail salon flipping through O and Real Simple magazines, listening to the manicurists as they conversed in Chinese, and watching as my rugged fingers and toes were transformed and tipped with shiny cranberry polish. I know I just took a detour from reality, but sometimes that’s what you need.

Thank God it’s Labor Day. This is a much needed day off. I can’t believe I have two funerals this week. Uncle Fisk’s will be on Wednesday. I think I’m holding these situations at arms length; I don’t want to take the time to really deal with how I feel. I guess once I’m standing there at the funerals I won’t really have much of a choice.

Have you ever noticed how much drama my life seems to have? I promise that I am not trying to create the drama. Really, I’m not in denial; I know that I can sometimes overreact and be somewhat of a drama queen. I am quite expressive. But there still is a lot that happens that is dramatic without me making it so.

Other than my salon appointment this morning, I didn’t really have much going on. I did laundry and ironed. I took the time to make both lunch and dinner for Chris, and we were able to spend some time together today. We actually got out and went for a drive, but most of the time was spent on the couch watching the Extreme Makeover Home Edition marathon on the Family Channel. I absolutely love that show, and so does Chris.

I feel a bit disconnected right now. I think I’m going to go get something to drink, get in bed a little early, and watch episodes of Friends until I’m too tired to keep my eyes open.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, you just need a little pampering and I understand that. Things are tough right now but they will get better. We just have to make it through right now and that's the tough part. I love you.

Christina said...

Please keep taking care of yourself, and getting lots of rest. It's hard to do sometimes, but you are definitely worth it. Just think of all the things you said to me when I had mono and then do them!! :-) We love you guys!!!