Thursday, September 07, 2006

Back to Good

So, yesterday was Uncle Fisk’s funeral. The officiator read comments from Fisk’s children and grandchildren about their fondest memories and what he meant to them which provided such sweet laughter and also heart wrenching tears. How do you sum up a person’s life and the important place he shared in yours?

If everything works out, my cousin’s funeral is will be Saturday. His family truly has no money and no insurance, and my Dad has been busily trying to raise money to cover the costs. It’s amazing how much these things cost. The funeral home has been so gracious and given a very nice price, but it’s still really expensive. Dad has talked to a few people and told them if they want to donate the money to his ministry in care of the funeral costs, they can claim it on their taxes. We’re trying to come together to get this taken care of; every aspect of this situation seems tragic to me.

For the most part people have been very kind to me as they hear about the strange turn of events from this last weekend. However, I must say that I have been a bit shocked by some of the off color, insensitive, and inappropriate comments that I’ve heard. I don’t know if people just aren’t thinking or don’t know how to react or what. I know that these things pop into people’s heads, but there’s no need to share when it’s not going to be something that’s helpful.

Want some good news?

My Mom came back today! She’s been out of town for a week, and it’s so hard for me when she’s gone, which has been quite a bit over the last month. She really is my best friend, and I usually talk to her every day. But while she’s been out of town our conversations have been short and infrequent. So many times I’ve wanted to call her and get her opinion or share little tidbits with her, but that just hasn’t been possible. When she gets back I think I’m going to have to tell her that I need some “Kay time” with her. Tonight Chris and I got to have dinner with her and Dad at Calhoun’s. I loved sitting there just sharing the details of our week apart. All in all, it was a quite enjoyable evening.

Now Chris is in the living room finishing up some work from the day. Bella is running back and forth from there to the office to check on the two of us. And I am just about ready to snuggle up with a good book for the rest of the evening. I am looking forward to Saturday evening when all of these trials will be behind me, and I am able to find something really good to look forward to. I’ll let you know what that it as soon as I figure it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a week! I can't believe people would have anything rude to say about any of this. That's just...well, rude.

Hope your weekend turns out good.