Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Domestic Bliss

Just an ordinary Friday.... With my hands fumbling around baby bottles, cereal bowls, and spoons deep in soapy water, my gaze wandered from the view out my kitchen window, a small patch of green grass between our building and the next, to my sweet girl in her high chair enjoying a handful of Gerber Puffs. She babbled and played with the her toy phone in one hand and attempted to pick up those tiny puffs with the other. Even while my thoughts wandered to the thousand and one tasks which have yet to be completed in order to brings order to the chaos of our new home and to the fact that my husband was far away on yet another work trip, I could not help but wear a smile of satisfaction for all seemed right with, well, at least, my world. Chris would be returning the next morning, and I wanted nothing more than for us to spend time together; the rest could wait.

We enjoyed two beautiful days. Shortly after I collected Chris from the airport mid-morning on Saturday, we grabbed an early lunch and returned home where all three of us settled in for a lovely afternoon nap. Normally, Chris and I don't nap. However, he was exhausted from the work week, and with both he and Willow Grace snuggled up in their beds, I didn't want to be left out! The rest of the weekend was filled with a variety of activities: a coed wedding shower/barbecue for Chris's brother and fiance, church, a trip top the grocery, and friends over for Sunday lunch. But I have to say that the best part of it all was having my husband by my side and my baby in my arms. God is so good.

I love being a wife and mother. I've been praying quite a bit lately that God would help me to continue to improve in those two areas. I want our home to be a place of comfort, safety, rest, and joy. When my family or anyone else walks through the door, I want them to feel a strong sense of peace. A lot of that has to do with the atmosphere I create within our home, and a great deal of that atmosphere is directly related to how much I pray and rely on Christ.

No comments: