Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Place to Dream

I have written a few times about the garden which greets me each time I enter the building for my summer work. A few have asked me to post a picture or two, a request I am happy to oblige. While it is in no way grand, I don't think that any of my pictures do it any justice. It is just a humble little flower garden, and yet it still seems to whisper adventurous words of stories I've never written nor read and manages to bring me a smile each time I pause to examine a flower or a new view.

Serving as an invitation once I step onto the sidewalk from the parking lot, the sign below beckons to me. Much more than just the message of "Laugh" I hear "Lay aside your cares and concerns. Here is a place of peace and joy." It makes me think of I Peter 5: 7, "Cast all your cares on him for he cares for you."


I think that many people miss the beauty in a thistle, and I, too, was one of them. At first glance, it can seem nothing more than a mess of weeds and thorns, but there is something else there to be discovered, something you must find for yourself. I fell in love with them at Covenant College.

This metal pot of flowers is tucked back in a corner and can only be discovered if one takes the time to wander through the garden looking for hidden treasures. Life is a lot like that.

There is not much that I can say about the flowers below except that I was struck by their exotic beauty.

This little scene brings out the wistful romantic in me. (I'm sure that you've guessed that so much does.) Doesn't it look like the perfect place for a the clandestine meeting of two lovers?


At first, this stone wall emerging from the jungle of bushes and evergreens seemed like a mistake to me. However, I began to see it at a lovely place to rest while gazing at the beauty of the garden, reading a book, or perhaps even having a conversation with a cherished friend.

So many ideas for children's books come to mind when I look at this young boy. I find it a bit odd that he's reading a book on gardening, but perhaps that could be part of the mystery.

And this is the final object that catches my eye before I enter the building. It's somehow wild and orderly at the same time. That's certainly something with which I can relate.

I hope that you enjoyed my little tour!

5 comments:

M.K. said...

KK - what a marvelous place! I think it is quite impressive, and somebody put a LOT of work into it. If I were allowed to wander there, instead of keeping my nose to the grindstone, I wouldn't get much work done :)

Beth said...

How beautiful, Kay!

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done Kay Kay.Your words have made this place more lovely and more peaceful than ever to me. Thank you,Mom

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done Kay Kay.Your words have made this place more lovely and more peaceful than ever to me. Thank you,Mom

Christina said...

Thanks for the pictures. That was beautiful!!