Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day of Dialysis

It's just after 2:30 AM, and I am sitting here watching all the little machines working on/monitoring Willow Grace as she watches episodes of My Friends Tigger and Pooh on DVD. (Why oh why did they decide to take that show off of Playhouse Disney!?!) So far she's seemed a bit dazed and has responded very little. And I wonder what is going through that sweet little mind. I know she doesn't understand what has happened/is happening to her, and she's just trying to focus on something familiar like her beloved Tigger. She has had neither anything to eat nor a bath since Tuesday, and I know that adds to her level of comfort.

Saturday morning, we started out thinking that we'd be going through another day of observation, and I hoped to get a nap in somewhere since I'd only taken in about three hours of sleep Friday night. However, it wasn't long before we were informed that Willow Grace had not progressed like we had hoped and dialysis was needed. The surgical team and the picc line team was called, and around 2 PM we all headed down for surgery. They put in a picc line and pernineal catheter, and the surgery went very well. Not long after we were back in our room, and they were preparing the dialysis machine. For now, the treatment is continuous. That little dialysis machine is putting in a lot of work!

While standing there watching her little groggy face, the fact that I had not eaten all day and the tension I'd been feeling finally caught up to me, and I felt the world begin to spin just a bit. My lovely Moma, my mother-in-law, Donitta, my sweet Aunt Ruby, and my dear friend, CB, were all on hand to make sure I rested and that Chris and I finally got some food in us. The blessings of strong, Godly women are immeasurable.

For now, we're just talking all of this a day, an hour, a moment at a time. The docs have said that we'll be here at least another 10-14 days. Interestingly enough, the nurse on duty tonight has a daughter who had HUS when she was about Willow Grace's age. They where in the hospital for six weeks. That was about 20 years ago, and we are praying for a speedy recovery and a much shorter stay!

Our God is faithful and true. I feel peace knowing that He is holding her in His mighty hands which are so much for capable than mine or any doctor's. While it's amazing to me, I can rest in the truth that He loves her so much more than even I do. Healing is hers and ours, and I'm thanking God for the mighty work that He has begun in her and is carrying on to completion. I will ever praise Him!

9 comments:

stacy said...

Dear Kay, I am following Willow Grace's progress on FB and now your blog. Thank you for using those tools; otherwise, I would have no idea. Will continue to keep sweet Willow Grace in my prayers. Blessings to you, Stacy Ross

Anonymous said...

KK, continuing to pray God's healing touch for little Willow Grace and His peace and comfort for you and Chris as well. Love Always, Jane Condo

Anonymous said...

Kay,
Thank you so much for the updates. We love you and are praying for Willow Grace as well as your whole family.
Love, Carter,Debbie,David,Rachel,Sam and Julia Crenshaw
"Bless the Lord,...who pardons all your iniquities, who heals all your diseases,...."Ps. 103

Theresa Dillard said...

I know its been a while since we've seen each other,but I've been keeping up on FB. Robert and I are praying for Willow Grace and a quick recovery. And for rest and health for you both also.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kay, I read the time on your blog post and now I know why I awoke around 2:00 AM this Sunday morning and felt such a burden to pray for precious Willow Grace and your family. I am just one of so many who are lifting up your family in prayer. Thank you for keeping us updated. Please feel free to call on me if there's anything you need/want. Love, Betsy Sottek

Mary Bess said...

Sweet Kay,
I am praying continuously and telling everyone I know to pray for complete and quick healing for Willow Grace.
Love you so much,
Mary Bess

Anonymous said...

KK, I am praying for God's healing on sweet Willow Grace. If there is anything you need, please let me know. Love you, Pat P.

Katherine K said...

Kay - so many things are evident to me as I read your blog. It's clear that your peace is beyond understanding and that you have an Abba Father who knows and loves you completely. It's also clear that you are a wonderful mother (of course, we all knew that - this just serves to confirm). What a blessing Willow Grace is to everyone she meets - she is a reflection of her Heavenly Father, but she is also a reflection of you, Kay. We are continuously praying for your whole family during this difficult time, proceeding in faith that God intends to show himself strong on her behalf. Love you much, Katherine K

Samual said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.