Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Best Sleep Ever!

Are you kidding me? I’ve had so many women say to me, “Aren’t you getting the best sleep of your life?” NO! Yes, I’ve always had trouble sleeping, but now with having to get up to go to the restroom, training myself to sleep on my side, and maneuvering this large hump around, I’m constantly waking up and moving around. I will say that if I get to take a nap in the afternoon or early evening, that sleep is usually pretty good. However, I take few naps because I don’t want that to end up being another factor to keep me from good sleep at night.

Every year I’m surprised at how self-absorbed children can be, particularly middle school children. Of course, since I spend 8 hours a day around these adolescents, I observe this in my classroom. It doesn’t seem to occur to them that their words, actions, and even facial expressions have an effect on others. Just today there was a little incident in my room. I won’t go into it, but I will say that I really had my feelings hurt. I really had no idea what to do. I didn’t want to respond emotionally and end up saying the wrong thing; so I just didn’t do anything. It disturbed me so badly that I went to talk to one of the administrative assistants to gain some guidance on how to handle the situation. By the way, she gave me brilliant advice, and I can come at the whole affair from a positive perspective and receive, I believe, a much more positive outcome than if I had let me emotions get the best of me. Sometimes it’s good to get a fresh perspective on things.

Spring fever has definitely hit with a fury. Not only do the kids not want to engage in school, neither do I. I have just 19 days of school left. After that, my days will be filled with sporadic phone calls, mail delivery, and plenty of time to read. Working at the front desk of the school is completely low maintenance in the summer and will be the perfect job for a very pregnant me. Here at the end of the academic year, I give myself little pep talks throughout the day. Most of these occur in my head, but it’s all about only having a few days left, running the good race, and finishing well. I do so want to end the year well. I’m putting all the effort I can muster up into it, and I believe that, in the end, I will succeed.

3 comments:

alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I think these kids just want attention, mainly from their classmates.They say things that they think will make them sound cool or do things to make themselves look big,and most of the time not realizing that they are bringing pain to another person,and yet there are those who are outright defiant.
I'm glad you were able to get some advice on how to handle the situation.
I'm looking forward to spending time with you this summer:>

Christina said...

the kids was probably very insecure and hurting too. Don Finto (pastor at Belmont) used to say: Hurting people hurt people. I try to remember that when someone hurts me. I hope you're having a good summer!!!

Christina