Friday, December 14, 2007

Interesting tidbit of news....

For those of you that don't know, I have been taking this semester off of my teaching job to be with my sweet Willow Grace. I plan to return to work in January, but there have been some "developments." I will not return to teaching English, at least not for this year. Maybe never. I don't know. What I will be doing is subbing full time. I will be there every day filling in wherever I am needed mostly in the middle but a bit in the high school. Just so you know I am THRILLED about this.
1. no take home grading
2. no lesson plans
3. At the end of the school day, I'm done.

The curriculum has moved to primarily teaching writing. While I myself love writing, I do not enjoy teaching it, and, quite frankly, it's not one of my strengths. I love teaching literature; it's the primary reason I choose English Education in college.The head of the middle school English department even told me that she has never met a teacher more gifted at teaching literature. But sadly, over the last few years, I went from being just a literature teacher to teaching mostly grammar and writing. I didn't mind when the curriculum was more balanced between literature and grammar, but that's just not the case anymore.

What will happen after this year? I don't know. I can only see the next few steps in the path that God is preparing for me. But I'm excited. I can't wait to see what He's going to do b/c I trust that He has great plans for me.

Chris and I have some new dreams that we are working on together, things that we are researching and praying through. And, hopefully, soon we will resume work on the novel that we've been writing together.

I know that returning to work will be extremely difficult for me, but at least I have Mom and occasionally Chris's mom to care for my daughter. That, at least, is a great relief. I'll be praying until then that God helps me to make the transition smoothly and with fewer tears than I expect.

1 comment:

M.K. said...

Hi Kay -
From another English teacher, I understand what you're saying! I'm all about the literature too. I teach a dab of grammar in high school, and some writing. But the problem with writing is that it's ONLY useful if they both edit and do a final copy. So you get to grade EVERY assignment twice - fun. The grading is just a killer.

If you tire of subbing (it's a rough ride, IMO), consider teaching in a private of Christian school. I get to teach loads of literature each year, and I watch the student's critical thinking skills improve as they learn to evaluate it. And you don't have a lot of the hassles you get in a public school - esp. administrative hassles, paperwork and meetings, etc. that are gov't requirements.

Sorry to ramble!
MK