Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Slow as Molasses

The time just drags on. I sit here fielding calls, retrieving and delivering the mail, and completing various other tasks that are dropped off on my desk. I read educational books, devotionals, and novels. I check my email and people’s blogs and the Scots network. I listen to the radio or CD’s I’ve brought with me. I keep myself pretty busy, and yet the hours still pass slowly.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I am so uncomfortable. I have to keep switching positions in order to try to find a few moments of comfort. But as soon as one part of my body is relaxed, another part starts feeling sore or swollen or just painful. Yeah, ok, I’m complaining a little. Sorry.

Last night my sister’s husband, Matt, came and helped Chris pack the U-Haul. He even called us last week to volunteer to help! How cool! And now, Chris is home while the carpet is being laid. Later, his brother, Jonathan, will come to help unload the U-Haul and put everything right again. Maybe after that we can decrease the chaos for a while… at least until the baby is born.

Last night I think that I was having some mad Braxton-Hicks contractions. I didn’t tell Chris because I didn’t get him all riled up if I wasn’t sure if it was the real thing. After a little while they dissipated, and I was glad that I hadn’t made a big deal about it. I think he’s nervous enough as it is. Honestly, though, I don’t think I’m going to make it to that due date. I just need her to wait another two weeks. I’ll be a little more ready for her then. I realize that you can never be totally ready, but I just need enough time to put a few things in order.

Just in case you want to know…. Among other things, right now I’m reading:



This it the devotional I’m going through. It has a companion workbook that I am completing. Since I’ve read most of the other stuff by John Eldredge, this one hasn’t been as difficult for me emotionally, but there’s still some stuff that it’s helping me to work through.



I just finished Inkheart, and this is the sequel. I just started it today and am enjoying it so far. I enjoy fantasy and juvenile literature, so this is a good fit. Chris has already read them both and loved them. He reads so fast, just devours books, and his literary interests are so limited. It’s so hard to find enough books to keep him reading.

No comments: