Friday, July 06, 2007

Last Leg of the Journey

You’re on a bicycle having just crested a hill that seemed interminably long and nearly impossible to ascend. When you started out on that journey, you had no idea exactly where you were headed, but you knew that you were ready for an adventure, and that’s just what you got! New twists and turns and discoveries appeared with each corner you turned, some met with delight and others with hesitation and dismay. And now, looking down the other side of that formidable hill, you see that though it’s mostly downhill, there are still a few smaller hills to climb. Near the bottom, the road curves sharply to the left, and there’s no way to tell just how it ends. It’s sure to be challenging and exhilarating, but there are so many possi. Of course, to experience the thrill and to feel the wind rushing against your face and through your hair even taking your own breathe away, you must go on. There’s no turning back.

Yep, that’s where I feel like I am.

Just a few more weeks to go…. This really is the hardest time, with the waiting and anticipating. We finally were able to get the carpet layers to come earlier. They will be laying the carpet next Tuesday; our previous appointment had them coming just two weeks before my due date. That was cutting things a bit too close for my comfort. To make things run a bit more smoothly, all (hopefully) will be packed up in the next couple days, and we’re planning on painting the nursery this Saturday. I think it’s a better idea to go ahead and paint with the old nasty carpet in place rather than risk ruining the new carpet. If anything happens to a wall, we can do a little touch up. But it finally feels like things are coming together. Thank God!

I have the last of my baby showers this Sunday. Once again, I will have to store the baby gifts at my mother-in-law’s house, but it won’t have to be there very long. Just after we have the carpet laid, I’ll bring all my little treasures home and start arranging things until it feels just right for welcoming our little girl. I can’t wait to be able to do this.

The only real problem with all of this happening right now is that the doctor has told me that I need to both keep my feet elevated and stay off my feet as much as possible. Yesterday I spent the majority of the holiday reclining with my feet propped up on three big pillows. For the first time I can remember, I didn’t go watch the fireworks from downtown; I actually sat in front of the TV and viewed them that way. Not at all the same! Still, it’s a part of taking care of this baby and myself, so it’s totally worth it. At work I have a crate or a chair I’m using depending on what the task I’m working on. I can’t help with packing up the apartment to make ready for the carpet layers, but I will not be robbed of working on the nursery once all the other stuff is done. I will do it in little spurts with lots of time keeping my feet elevated in between, but I want the joy of that part of nesting.

No comments: