Friday, July 13, 2007

A Not So Normal Day

(I meant to post this yesterday, but that just didn’t work out. So, here it is now….)

So, what did you do yesterday?

I worked, went to visit with Mom after work while the carpet was still being laid, saw a guy get shot and then beat up, went home to have dinner with Chris and Jonathan, and then unpacked a few boxes while they brought the rest of the stuff up from the U-Haul. Pretty normal day, right? No? Really? You don’t usually see people getting shot and beat up? Me neither, but there it was.

I was sitting in my parent’s breakfast room when I heard a shot outside. I got up and looked out the window. There were three men across the street, one with a small handgun. He was shooting at one of the other guys. The one being shot tackled the shooter, and then the shooter and the third man proceeded, in the middle of the street, to beat up the one who had been shot. Before I knew it the two attackers ran off one way, and the guy who had been shot disappeared down the alley. A few minutes later I heard sirens. The whole thing was quite surreal; I felt like I was watching someone filming a scene in a movie or some cop show. I was shocked and had a hard time reconciling in my mind the fact that I had really just witnessed such a violent crime.

On to something less dramatic… the carpet in our apartment looks very nice. We had no idea what we were getting as our landlord ordered it. It’s a warm chocolate brown. When Chris called to tell me what it was, I was very skeptical about it. However, it gives the apartment a very welcoming, homey feeling.

Anyway, here’s hoping that the rest of this day is low key and closer to normal.

No comments: