Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The making of an artist….

I’ve always fancied myself to be an artist, or at least to have the heart of an artist. I’ve been a writer since I can remember. I’ve always hammed it up around the house and tried to be involved in theater through school and church. I live in a world of wild imagination, most of which gets no farther than my own mind. After taking a folk art painting class last fall, I am now excited about painting. A few weeks ago I posted a picture of a blank canvas; very soon I hope to post a picture of the finished product. Today I spent quite a bit of time sketching out ideas for future paintings.

I am by no means saying that I would ever be recognized by anyone else besides myself as an artist. If art is not appreciated by anyone else but the creator, then it is worthwhile. I enjoy exploring my imagination. I enjoy throwing color on a canvas and or words on a page and watching as what seems like chaos transform into something cohesive, something with a pleasant flow.

Do you want to know one of my wildest dreams? I want an old building to turn into a theater and coffeehouse. It would be full of original art and antique furniture with exquisite details. I would direct and/or produce plays, and bands would come to share their music. It would be a place where art would flourish, where life would thrive. It would be a place of beauty, where life could be explored and appreciated and shared.

In one of my many stories I’ve described this place, and it may continue to only exist there. I need to finish that story. It may be the only place that I’m able to really share that dream with others. And even if I never get to truly realize the dream of owning a place like I’ve described above, I will continue to dream about it. It’s so important to dream, even if those dreams only exist in one’s mind. I remember Steven Spielburg quoting someone else when he said, “The old dreams were good dreams. They did not come true, but the important thing is that I had them.”

One who never dreams never really lives. I plan to live.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay, I found your blog through the Covenant alum site and I just wanted to say I really enjoyed your post! I browsed through a few of your other entries and I do believe we blog for the same purposes.

I am an artist. It has taken me several years to come out and just say it, like it's my career. Truth is I want it to be. I've shown, sold, been schooled in it all.

I want to encourage you to continue to dream, create and most importantly explore those aspects of the Creator and creation. Dreams are important, they give you faith for the future and your destiny.

Keep up the great writings. I'll be back to read!

Katie Ward Knutson

Anonymous said...

Kay, I really enjoyed reading about your dreams and reading about how even if you don't accomplish them, that they will still be important to you in some way.

I don't think I have dreams like that, I guess I'm not one to really look too far into the future, but I like the "idea" of it. I definitely do know what you mean about the artist thing. I don't feel like I can call myself one, but I do feel like I have the soul of one. I get these creative antsy feelings if I don't have a project. So I know what you mean there.

Anonymous said...

Kay, I loved what you had to say about art and dreams. I think you already are an artist, of course, so it wouldn't surprise me if you could display it through painting as well.

Christina said...

I love your blog and quote about dreams. I'm dreaming all the time--big dreams. I want to be in a position financially where John and I (and Marley) can travel and spend more time together. I also want to help young kids and mentor them in career choices and of course, their relationship with God. And to take over the world. :-)

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»