Thursday, June 15, 2006

What would you do?

Have you every thought about what you would do if you had permission to do anything? I was thinking about that today. What is it that I would do if there were no boundaries? What makes me come alive? You know, I had a really hard time with that. Certain answers jumped to my mind right away, but I began to wonder if those were just my staple answers. So, I went a little deeper. Here’s what I came up with:

I would try out for a play. I would open up my own playhouse or coffeehouse or bed and breakfast. I would write a book. I would plant a garden. I would drive to the Grand Canyon in a camper and take in the wonder, wildness, and beauty there. I would go to Roswell, New Mexico, even if all I found there was a cheesy gift shop with alien merchandise. I would adopt babies. I would find a way to get the 300 acres of land that Chris wants and build our house in the center of it. I would raise horses.

These are all things that I have pondered or that I have slightly touched, dancing around the fringes of my dreams. I’ve directed several plays, but I haven’t tried out for anything in since college. I’ve been writing, but I haven’t finished anything. I’ve traveled but always with someone else as the guide. Some of these things couldn’t have happened earlier; God had a different plan than the one I had in mind. But I wonder if I missed out on other things because of a lack of vision.

Does that mean that I am going to run out and start doing these things so that I can check them off of my list? No. I just want to have passion and a dream. It doesn’t really matter if these things come to pass. What matters is that I have a dream, that I have something that drives me, something that makes me feel truly alive. And I really want to help others find their passion and pursue their dreams, which is why I am a teacher.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would go buckle down and get my degree. Move to the coast. Florida, Hawaii, or the like .... (not Cali) and be a marine mammal veterinarian. I would buy a house close by, find a great surfing spot, and raise little beach babies.

Anonymous said...

In my case it would have finished highschool and went to college I'm sure.
My daddy told me once that I could be anything I wanted to be.He even suggested trying out for Miss Tennessee.Little did he know how one goes about to accomplish such a thing.
I had thoughts of becoming a nurse and even being in the military as a nurse.
All that changed for me at the ripe old age of thirteen though.
Oh, and Iv'e made ALOT of lemonade in my time =)