Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Between the Innkeeper and the Cop

Well, I hit a wall this weekend. I had planned to get as close at possible to getting our home in order. I really want to get to a point where I can post a few pics of the place. However, just after lunch on Saturday, as I was moving a few picture albums to the lowest shelf in one of our bookcases, my back went out. Major pain... in more ways than one. First, it just really hurt and kept me from being able to do anything else that day, even picking up the baby. At first, I couldn't even stand up, and we toyed with the thought of taking me to the walk-in clinic. However, I just couldn't see any sense in paying someone $25 to tell me to rest and take Advil. Second, it was a pain because I really hate just sitting around where there's work to be done, and there's quite a lot of work to be done. Finally, yesterday the pain started to go down a bit. It's still painful moving to sit, stand, or recline; it's just not as bad as it was.

I started to feel a bit old with an injury like that until I remembered that Lorelai on the Gilmore Girls had done the same thing. She was young and healthy and beautiful, so it must be OK, right? The only other point of reference I could think was Carl Winslow from Family Matters whose back went out on the dance floor. That just made me feel old, but if lovely Lorelai had the same problem, well, I must be normal. How strange (amusing, terrible, etc.) that I relate so much to what I've seen on TV. Anyway, the school nurse told me that lots of young moms end up with injuries like that after lifting and carrying car seats and other stuff everywhere. So, there you have it; I feel even less strange.(Just in case you're wondering about the post's title: Lorelai was an innkeeper, and Carl was a cop.)

I really hope that I'll be able to accomplish quite a bit this weekend, and maybe we'll finally be able to show you what our new home looks like. Before I get the usual warnings... yes, I will take it easy, will pace myself, and won't overdo anything.

No comments: