Monday, October 29, 2007

Superstore Wars

I've been spending a great deal of time at Walmart, much more than I ever did before Willow Grace was born. I just can't seem to get everything I need in one trip. Just last week, I went four days in a row! I was thinking about those big superstores. There are three major ones: KMart, Walmart, and Target. They all carry the same types of products; their layouts are very similar. Their prices are comparable. Yet, somehow, there's a hierarchy with Target being at the top. I've known many wealthy famlies who would not admit to having stepped foot in a Walmart or KMart, but somehow Target is OK. Why is that? Target does have some fun commercials, and they do seem to attract a few fashion designers. It seems that the stigma has changed somewhat over the last few years, at least with Walmart. Walmart has been updating its image and placing stores in affluent areas. But some people are still more likely to admit that they bought a sweater at Target and not Walmart. Even I have a sort of prejudice. I just don't like KMart. I don't know what it is, but I always feel a little sad and dirty when I go in there. Walmart makes me happy because it feels safe and homey to me; I suppose that's due to the fact that I've spent a great deal of time there over the years. And Target somehow seems like a fun outting to me. Sometimes I treat these stores like a free museum. I'm not planning on buying; I'll just wander around and gaze at all the stuff they have. There's always something interesting to see, even if it's just the variety of people that walk through the door.

Right now I have a plan to visit a few different Walmarts. There's a certain Christmas dress for Willow Grace that I want. I didn't grab it at my usual Walmart, and now they're out of her size. I went to a few other stores (Target, Babies R Us, etc.) looking for a dress for her, but nothing compared to that dress. So, the quest is on....

Speaking of Willow, I hear her stirring. She's going to want her breakfast.

No comments: