Sunday, February 11, 2007

Little Treats

So, I finally had a legitimate snow day last Friday (Feb. 2). Since then I’ve been anxiously awaiting my next freebie. I cannot take any sick days as I am saving them up for my maternity leave. I didn’t do anything on my day off except rest. I took a nap in the morning, watch Steel Magnolias while I ate lunch, and puttered around for the afternoon. It was wonderful. I never have days like that as I always feel the need to be constantly doing something. However, this baby has made me so tired that I need three times the amount of rest that I was getting before.

I have a list of things that I’ve’ been praying for, just basic requests for myself. I don’t want to sound too selfish; I do pray quite a bit for others. However, I just wanted to spend a little time focusing on a few things that I need or want but cannot really acquire for myself at this point. Two of the things at the top of my list were a massage and a pedicure. I supposed I’ve been praying for these for almost a couple months now. Would you believe it? My sweet friend Christina called me up out of the blue this last weekend and told me that she wanted to take me to get a massage and a pedicure! She had no idea that I had been asking the Lord for these things. In fact, unless she has read this post, she still doesn’t know. I know these are not things that will change the world or even my life, but because I care about it God cares as well. So, I thank the Lord and Christina for this tremendous gift.

This last Friday was a jeans day at work. Every year we have a Cake Bake in which the middle school boys bake cakes, and the girls, in groups, bid on the cakes. There are all types of cakes: huge hearts, wedding-style layer cakes, cakes shaped like fish, cakes with themes (Coke, American Idol, sports), and an assortment of other interesting creations. Anyway, back to the jeans…. When I put on my jeans, I discovered that I could button them; I just couldn’t breathe. Well, I decided that oxygen was important for both me and the baby at the same time that I discovered that I could no longer “get by” with my regular clothes. The time had come to do a little maternity clothes shopping.

So, yesterday, Mom, Eva, and I took to the stores. Among other necessities, I was able to buy five pairs of pants and six shirts, all very basic and plain. I couldn’t find anything that I found particularly cute, but I think I’ll have better luck when the spring lines come in. At least I now have jeans that I can breathe in! With the various other items in my closet which still work, I have a good start. Oh, and Mom and Dad bought a lot of the clothes yesterday. Mom was so happy in being able to get me my first maternity clothes. I have a bit of money saved up, so I’ll be able to buy a few more things on my own.

Of course the best part about yesterday was being with Mom and Eva. I rarely ever get to see Eva, and I was thrilled that she was able to come. I miss her so much, but with our adult, married lives and living so far away from one another it’s difficult to find time to get together. She really is an enchanting creature. Being with those two women yesterday was like food for my soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved being with you and Eva on Saturday.I can't remember the last time we were together like that.
I hope we can do it again soon.
Love you lots!

Christina said...

Omigosh!! I can't believe that you were praying for a massage and pedi. I've gotten behind on your blogs. I totally felt God speak to my heart when I got one the other day telling me to invite you. I'm so excited!!! which comment did you delete? i hope it wasn't anything bad or I'll send john to beat them up!!!