Sunday, March 03, 2013

"Now, back to my adventure with Fatboy Slim...."

The title was spoken by Willow Grace today.

For Christmas I asked for and received Just Dance: Greatest Hits. Several nights a week, we switch on the Wii and dance to our hearts' content - all three of us: Chris, Willow Grace, and myself.. Since then we've added four more Just Dance games.

Willow Grace is like a little sponge. She knows all the singers' names and most of the lyrics to the songs. And now, all her imaginary friends have become the singers off of the game. I frequently hear her say, " Katy Perry and I are having a tea party." OR "C'mon Rihanna! Let's play a game!" And today, it was all about Fatboy Slim. They were having grand adventure in the forest, searching for the golden gum ball machine. She said that when they took the golden gum ball machine off of the chair all of the traps were triggered, and so she had to put it back to stop the traps. What an imagination!

How do I continue to help her cultivate that? How do I make sure that at ten, thirteen, and seventeen she doesn't lose that? I remember vividly being the same way, constantly acting out stories or just playing them out in my head. I'm that way now. I always, always have a story spinning around in my head. I'll be working on encouraging creativity and imagination in us both.

1 comment:

Maryb said...

I would love to be peeking in somehow to see you all danceing together.Dancing was one of my favorite things to do in my younger days.I just might give it a whirl today.:) I like the name Fatboy Slim.Who is he?
Imagination...the spice of life.I look forward to the next adventure.Have a great weekend with your little dancers.