Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oh, the Variety!

I am much enjoying my new job. I love doing different things every day and gaining experience in areas where I am not accustomed to teaching. It’s exciting to be mobile and flexible, and I’m ready to take on new challenges. This week on the agenda I have answering phones and teaching 7th and 8th grade math, 6th grade science, and 7th grade art. I was supposed to teach computer, which my husband found to be very amusing, but I have a meeting I have to attend instead. Being a computer tech, he knows how lacking I am in that department. I can only do basic stuff, but I can follow other’s lesson plans very well, so I don’t think it would have been a problem. Next week, I’ll be teaching English, which is normal for me, but I’ll be teaching 8th graders. For nine years I taught nothing but 7th grade English. In addition to the English, I’ll also be teaching 7th grade science and 8th grade history. Starting at the end of this month, I’ll be teaching 7th grade Bible for a month as our regular teacher has been invited to preach in Scotland for that time! By the time this semester has wrapped, I should have experience in just about every classroom in the middle school. How cool is that!?!

In addition to the variety of tasks and the basic fact that I still have a job and am bringing in much needed income, I can’t think of four other great perks to this new position. (1) I will get to know every student in the middle school. (2) I am getting more opportunities to engage with my colleagues and get to know them on a more personal level. (3) No lesson planning. (4) No essays to grade. After the difficult year I suffered last year, I am confidant that I will end this one in a positive manner.

Leaving Willow Grace on Monday was excruciating! I really thought that I was going to be able to be strong and not shed a tear, and I just absolutely failed at that! Returning to her in the afternoon is like receiving a great reward for a job well done. I think about her all day and gaze at the pictures of her scrolling across the screen of my laptop when I have a chance. As the week has progressed, it has become easier to leave. For the last two days, Chris has been able to stay with her, and I love that they are getting some daddy-daughter time. I think that’s so important for their bonding. I will always miss her, but it will be in less overtly emotional ways. In a couple weeks, I have a three-day weekend coming up, and I just can’t wait to have that extra time with her. And, of course, spring break just can’t come fast enough!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you are back at work and you definitely are making a difference!!! You are a beautiful bridge. Christina